Monday, November 24, 2008

Achievements

What does "achievement" mean to you? The answers from each and every of you may be very different...

Sometimes I wonder... What would the answers be if this question is referred to the parents, say the "achievements" that they hope to see from their children:
  • Be the BEST student in school?
  • Always lock in the room and study?
  • Earning lots of money? (in young age)

You might be thinking, "No, no, no... In future I'll not let my children to be like this..." Ok, if that's your answer, make sure you do so... Maybe it's very hard for you to get the picture of it, let me lead you with the examples which I see in the Boys' Brigade (BB)...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sometimes when the parents of my juniors in BB come to me, I feel more than willing to listen to them... Reason being I feel that these are the parents that really concern about their children in all aspects... Not only their "12A" or "13A" school result, but also their mentally growth and performance outside of the school/home...

On the other hand, there are also parents which don't even know what their sons do in the BB meeting every Saturday... They don't even know what the "stripes" on their son's right hand mean or what special activities that the sons have attended... What they want is just a child who knows how to study hard, score well in examinations and will be able to earn BIG money in future...

Sadly saying, my very own parents are more likely to belong to the 2nd group... Except that they too agree with me that good in studying is not everything...

Hopefully in future I'll not turn up to be like this: $.$ too... Of course, as Christians, we also cannot neglect the importance of spiritual growth in the children... Let's all make sure that our next generations will grow up better than how we do... =)

Now, let me ask you...

Do you think that a child can think more maturely compared to yesterday is an "achievement" of the child too?

No comments: