Sunday, September 28, 2008

Anger

What is the definition of anger? Anger is a strong feeling of displeasure and hostility. It is one of the most devastating emotions that a person can have. When a person becomes angry, he loses his senses and can do things that normally he would not do. It is only after the deed is done that there may be cause for regret.

I had experienced an eight-year-old little boy who walked by my house and started throwing stones at my dog. Unfortunately the front gate was opened and my dog ran out and gave him a bite that drew blood. The boy ran home and I realised that his father, a big burly man, was at my gate demanding for compensation. At that time I was a hot-headed youngster of fourteen. Although I stood a whole head shorter than him, I never gave in an inch. In anger he shouted, “I’ll kill your dog!” Those words incensed me and I shouted back, “I’ll kill your son!” Luckily those words were spoken out of anger. Thank God no one was killed.

The next day, I walked to their house to apologise, as I was guilty for making those rude remarks out of the anger in me. Indeed the man was about to punch me before I said “I’m Sorry.”

Simple words, yet so effective, for it stopped him to punch me. I apologized to him for saying stupid things and surprisingly he also apologized to me for saying stupid things too. The tension changed to laughter. We shook hands and soon we were talking like old friends that have known each other for many years.

From that incident I realised how dangerous anger can be. If we had persisted in our anger, I dread to think what will happen next. Instead of letting anger run its full course, we should transform it into an opportunity to make peace. Anger gives a way to help us have mutual understanding and friendship.

The consequences anger is never good if we allow it to run wild without controlling it. The Japanese has a saying for anger: When you are angry, do not act; when you act, do not be angry. What this saying implies is that any act prompted by anger must be avoided. I practice the above maxim whenever I can. It enables me to act cool-headedly. If you are a person that will get angry easily, try it for yourself and see how effective it is.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This is a short essay I wrote when I was in form 4 with the title of "Anger"... Guess my English wasn't that good and I copied from somewhere, hahaha... Anyway, it's dedicated to my close friends around me... Yesterday something misunderstanding happened to my 2 close friends which caused them to have a fight... It was scary when your "sources of laughter" in life had a big fight... Hope they're alright now.

~~ This blog will be closed from 1/10/08 to 4/10/08 ~~
Stay Tune!!

3 comments:

Bentuckee said...

I like ur 'testimony' if i could call it. Apology and forgiveness are the keys to all conflicts. We dun have to be the winning side in order to feel better or to release our anger.

L.Chew said...

1stKL NCO + Officers Retreat? what is that?

SAIHONG said...

Yeah Ben! It's reli not good to see anger "burst out" which will cause many ppl to feel bad... =/

Chew Win, I think I explained to u in skol adi? =P